Ta
Da!!
Two of the nieces quilts -
Quillows actually - are finished!

The pillows above open out into these beauties...


These photos were taken before I had a chance to wash the blue quilt. There were some rare rays of sunshine yesterday, so I quickly cleared away the boys things to finally take some pics for you. The blue one was just quilted "in the ditch" although I quilted a heart in the top left corner where I added the label.

The pink one has been washed and has wrinkled up lovely! I was trying to get a picture of the back so that you could see the quilting on this one but The Little Fella had other ideas
lol! As this was the first one I quilted, I was a bit
adventurous and choose to quilt hearts & butterflies all over. However, in reality it was a right PITA to do on my poor Old Girl of a sewing machine. Hence the blue quilt being stitched in the ditch
lol. However it does look really fab!
To do the quilting, I googled some heart & butterfly shapes & printed them off, then made some paper templates. I gave up on all the different fabric marking pens/chalks etc and used an
Ikea pencil (as
recommended by the lovely teacher at
TikkiLondon). It has quite a soft lead, so doesn't stretch the fabric and it all washed out.

I then drew around the template. After
stitching each shape, I went around it again using my foot edge to follow the stitching. I used my walking foot and had to stop quite often to pivot and also to go round the corners I sometimes had to turn the fabric back round the other way (
ie instead of turning 90 degrees right, you turn 270 degrees left.) I did attempt to drop the feed dogs and use a darning foot but my
stitches were going all over the place and were very uneven - think I need a lot of practice to develop that skill
LOL!
So two down and one more to go!
Half term next week, so fingers crossed that I get the final one done! However, I am also in the middle of making a scrapbook/wedding album for my cousins wedding in March. She lives in
NewZealand and
unfortunately as her wedding is in term time, I wont be able to go :( My parents will be going however, and bringing the book with them!
Still - I could win the
euro lotto tonight and be able to give up work & craft all day long! (and book that flight to NZ)
great work, i glad i found you. x
ReplyDeleteWow, those are gorgeous. The recipients are going to be over the moon with them.
ReplyDeletegorgeous gorgeous....I could sit next to you on the flight, leave teaching behind and craft on the way! x
ReplyDeleteThey are brilliant, I am still not confident it doing the quilting on the machine although I might be able to do the in the ditch type as I have my walking foot now.
ReplyDelete